Hackensack Divorce Lawyers
Dedicated Family Law Attorneys in Hackensack, NJ Represent You and Fight for Your Rights in Family Law and Divorce Cases in Bergen County and Throughout New Jersey
Getting divorced can be a highly stressful and emotionally draining experience. It can involve important decisions about assets and debts and child custody, visitation, and support. The experienced Hackensack divorce lawyers at the Choi Law Firm will help you deal with all of the legal obstacles you face and will provide important guidance during your divorce proceedings to help you avoid making mistakes that can negatively affect your and your family’s future for years to come.
Divorce and Family Law Cases That Are Handled by Our Family Law Attorneys in Hackensack, NJ
Our Hackensack family law attorneys have experience handling every aspect of divorce cases. These include:
- Divorce proceedings, from filing to negotiations, settlement, or trial;
- Writing, interpreting, and enforcing prenuptial agreements;
- Handling issues pertaining to child custody, child support, visitation, and parenting time;
- Establishing paternity;
- Determining and/or enforcing alimony and spousal support payments;
- Writing up cohabitation agreements;
- Ensuring the equitable distribution of the couple’s estate;
- Handling cases involving domestic violence, child abuse, child abduction, and restraining orders;
- Handling contentious issues such as the removal or relocation of a parent or child.
Our Hackensack divorce lawyers will take the time to listen to your concerns and will be sure to understand your unique circumstances before moving forward with legal suggestions or recommendations that can help you as per New Jersey’s divorce laws. Our goal is always to help you resolve the issues you and your spouse face so that you can move forward with your life. With the Choi Law Firm and our dedicated family law attorneys in Hackensack, NJ in your corner, you can rest assured that we will provide you with sound legal advice and guidance with your case from start to finish.
Handling Contested and Uncontested Divorces with Our Family Law Attorneys in Hackensack, NJ
While New Jersey state law allows divorce filings to be made without fault – meaning, you do not need a reason to file for divorce from your spouse – we strongly urge you to speak with our family law attorneys in Hackensack, NJ when facing or initiating divorce proceedings because you still have the right to file for divorce for specific faults, and these faults can impact the outcome of your proceedings.
For example, as per NJ Rev Stat § 2A:34-2 (2013) on causes for divorce, you can file for divorce on the grounds of:
- Excessive cruelty
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Institutionalization for mental health issues
- Separation of over 18 months
- Deviant sexual conduct
Most couples opt for no-fault divorces and cite irreconcilable differences for divorcing. This can help the couple save face while expediting the legal process and making it less of an emotionally charged matter than it already is. However, in some cases, you may have grounds for filing for divorce based on one of the faults above. While it can make the divorce more emotionally draining, there can be many important legal and strategic benefits to doing so.
Speak with our Hackensack divorce lawyers before taking any steps so that you have a better understanding of what you need to do and what your legal options are for a divorce based on the specifics of your case.
How Our Family Law Attorneys in Hackensack, NJ Will Help with Your Case
Our team is here to help every step of the way. We will work with you and your family to make sure that we:
- Accurately identify and assess all debts and assets;
- Obtain information on your spouse’s finances;
- Prepare and file all legal documents that apply to your proceedings;
- Conduct pre-trial discovery and conduct depositions, if needed;
- Help you reach an amicable middle ground for everything from temporary child custody and support to visitation;
- Walk you through everything you need to know about the legal aspects of your case, from tax issues and business restructuring to estate planning and other legal matters that may apply;
- Negotiate and vigorously petition on your behalf so that an agreement that best achieves your expectations and goals is reached;
- Help you and your spouse work through alternative services such as mediation and/or alternative dispute resolution;
- Fight your case in court before a judge if necessary.
The divorce process can be complex and often gets messy when the strong and seasoned guidance of legal advocacy is missing. Our Hackensack divorce lawyers are here to ensure you get the fair outcome you deserve.
Call Our Family Law Attorneys In Hackensack, NJ Today For Help with Your Case
Divorces are never easy, and every divorce is different. The experienced Hackensack divorce lawyers at the Choi Law Firm are here to help you get through this difficult time, so contact us today for skilled representation and battle-tested guidance regarding what you need to do to get your life back on track.
Frequently Asked Questions about Family Law and Divorce Cases in Hackensack, NJ
Yes. Our divorce lawyers and family law attorneys in Paramus, NJ handle a wide range of family law and divorce cases. These include mediation, prenuptial agreements, child custody issues, visitation/parenting time conflicts, paternity, child support, alimony/spousal support, and the equitable distribution of your marital estate. We also handle divorce and family law cases involving domestic violence, the rights of parents and grandparents, child abduction cases, restraining orders, and child abuse matters.
Many factors will impact how your assets are to be distributed after the divorce and how child support, visitation, and parenting decisions will be made. For example, the equitable distribution criteria (N.J.S.A. 2A: 34-23.1), uses the duration of the marriage or civil union, the age and overall health of the parties involved, any prior agreements, the income earning capacity of both parties, and many other factors before issuing a 50-50 split of assets after a divorce. Similarly, some laws govern how child custody is to be determined (both physical/residential custody and legal custody, both of which are different things) and how parenting time, child support, and the wishes of the children involved are to be considered. Speak with our Paramus divorce lawyers to learn more about the rules and laws that apply to your case.
“I always felt that they were genuinely fighting for me; truly looking out for my best interests."
I am very grateful for Sandra Choi and her team. They were kind, compassionate, thorough and very professional throughout the entire process of my case. I always felt that they were listening to my concerns and interests and provided all the professional advice and answers to my questions that I needed to feel confident about my decisions.”
“One of the best things about Ms. Choi is that she is caring and listens carefully to understand your situation."
Sandra Choi is attentive, kind, thoughtful, and professional. She was thorough and well-prepared throughout my case, and I was impressed by her honesty and work ethic. Ms. Choi and her team were helpful and responsive to my questions and concerns, and she certainly exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend Ms. Choi and her team.